One of the best ways to stop your little angel from fussing is a pacifier! We gathered the best-rated odor-free and taste-free pacifiers that are also easy to sterilize and don’t cause nipple confusion. Here are our reviews of the best pacifiers for breastfed babies, their materials, construction, nipple design, and overall durability and quality.
1. MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier for Breastfed Newborns
- CALMS & SOOTHES NEWBORN BABIES: Our MAM pacifier nipple is designed by parents and medical experts to feel like mother's...
- EASY CLEANING: MAM pacifiers sterilize in the microwave in the case they come with in 3 minutes, perfect for travel and...
- CARRYING CASE: MAM pacifiers come with a reusable pacifier carrying case that is perfect for keeping your MAM pacifiers...
For babies that are over six months, the MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier is a larger version of orthodontic pacifiers for breastfed babies. Supporting gum development as well as the palate and teeth of your little one, the nipple has an ultra-soft silicon texture that is also anti-slip. The MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier even has a shield that circulates air, thus reducing the risk of saliva rashes. Breastfeeding moms love the design and that it doesn’t hinder their baby’s jaw development as they grow.
- Available in all age sizes up to 36 months
- Multiple small openings for air circulation against baby’s skin
- BPA free silicone with anti-slip texture
- Ultra soft MAM silicone that won’t slip
- Symmetrical with air circulation shield
- Silicone may tear if bitten
- The nipple might be too big for some babies
|WHERE TO BUY|
2. Philips Avent SCF190/01 Soothie
- The pacifier brand distributed in hospitals nationwide
- Used by medical professionals to calm newborns
- BPA free
The Soothie is one of the more popular pacifiers among breastfeeding moms. This revolutionary round shaped pacifier was created to fit a newborn’s mouth without hindering jaw and gum development. With hospital-grade BPA-free silicone, this pacifier is free of odors and flavors so a breastfeeding baby won’t reject it.
It’s also safe for both dishwashers and sterilizers and you don’t have to worry about bacteria or trapped moisture as it is one solid piece. The Philips Avent Soothie also adheres to the American Academy of Pediatrics Newborn guidelines and comes with a snap-on cap for hygienic storage.
The first pacifier most babies encounter is the Philips Avent Soothie, as it is the most common pacifier in hospitals all over the world. With its large shield and vibrant color choices, the pacifier is easy to see and find in the dark making it a favorite among both babies and moms. Parents have found this to be an easy to clean pacifier that doesn’t have parts that come off.
- This is an orthodontic pacifier;
- Is widely distributed in hospitals;
- One piece construction is more hygienic and can’t come apart;
- BPA free and Latex free, easy to sterilize.
- Doesn’t work with pacifier clips.
|WHERE TO BUY|
3. The First Years GumDrop Newborn Pacifier
- Trusted by hospitals
- One-piece, silicone design stays clear of baby's button nose
- Easily works with most pacifier attachers
Designed for babies up to three months, the First Years GumDrop Newborn Pacifier is the third best pacifier for newborns on our list. This silicone pacifier is easy to sterilize which guarantees good hygiene and does not pose any choking hazards. It’s also comfortable, durable, and latex-free.
Another point of praise is that it’s easy to handle and the gumdrop design allows you to attach it to other pacifiers. Some parents have found that this pacifier to be just smidge smaller than its competitors but they enjoyed the cut out for their little one’s nose. It’s calming, it doesn’t cause nipple confusion.
- Similar to the pacifiers you are given at the hospital;
- Has a shape that curves to your baby’s face thus increasing the stability of the pacifier;
- Sucking motion from this pacifier helps little ones push down the reflux.
- They have a sticky quality and attract lint and hair.
|WHERE TO BUY|
4. Nuby Soft Flex Pacifiers for Breastfed Babies
- Natural flexing action imitates the motion of mother's nipple during feeding
- Hygienic air system helps reduce skin irritation
- Teething nubs massage and stimulate gums
With a unique, orthodontic design, the Nuby Soft Flex Pacifiers allow for a baby’s natural flexing action to work as they suck and it imitates the motion of a nipple when it’s feeding time. It also features teething nubs that will stimulate and massage your baby’s gums to get rid of any pain or discomfort when they are teething making it one of the best pacifiers out there.
Perfect pacifier for babies that are in the newborn to the six-month range, it features a soft pacifier that has a special air system design reducing skin irritation when your baby sucks on it for long periods of time. It comes with a convenient clip and a carrying case.
- Has an orthodontic shape that your baby doesn’t spit out;
- Has a wide silicone part that covers the baby’s entire mouth area;
- The shape of the mouth shield fits the baby’s nose and cheek curve well.
- Can be too large for smaller babies.
|WHERE TO BUY|
Recommended read: Since you’re here, you’ve probably had or considered breast pumps. If so, we’ve also got a short overview of the best breast ones on the market this year!
5. Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Everyday Pacifier
- Pacifier with traditional shield style featuring understated designs, ideal for newborn babies and everyday use
- Symmetrical orthodontic shape designed to support natural oral development
- Reversible pacifier nipple making it easier for babies to correctly insert the pacifier
From the company known for making bottles for breastfed babies, also comes a pacifier that can calm a breastfed baby and help her to adjust to bottle feeding when the time comes. The orthodontic nipple shape imitates the natural nipple and doesn’t use odors or taste making it great for combatting nipple confusion.
This is a dishwasher safe bottle that can be sterilized, plus it is BPA and silicone free. It features a shield with two open sides that provides better air circulation and keeps your baby’s cheeks dry and free of moisture. This is a larger nipple than many other orthodontic pacifiers that can be good for those babies that don’t have teeth yet.
- BPA free with an orthodontic shape;
- Features a reversible pacifier nipple;
- The nipple is good for breastfed babies that supplement with bottles.
- Water can get trapped in the ring portion after washes;
- It may slip out of your baby’s mouth.
|WHERE TO BUY|
The Gentleman Mustachifier Orthodontic Pacifier for Breastfed Babies
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS: The Mustachifier is completely BPA free. The mustache itself is made of high grade TPE, a trusted...
- WARRANTY GUARANTEED: Binkies go through a lot, and you go through a lot for them. Just because life happens doesn't mean...
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: The Mustacifier is great for toddlers of any age, though ideal for ages 0-48 months. The silicone...
This pacifier would be great as a legitimate entry on our list, were it not for the small parts that might be a choking hazard for infants. As such, it’s mostly recommended for toddlers as a fun present when your kid reaches 3 years of age.
If you’re looking for a cute and funny pacifier that will definitely get some chuckles, this is it. This baby pacifier is made of 100% BPA-free high-grade TPE (thermoplastic elastomer). It’s a very soft, yet long-lasting pacifier and teether. Lastly, this pacifier has a firm plastic shield with small vents that reduce the risk of irritation and sores.
- Great orthodontic nipple design that makes babies accept it immediately;
- Funny mouth guard design;
- Made of safe materials using a high-tech manufacturing process;
- In isolated cases, customers reported the nipple can come off.
|WHERE TO BUY|
6. WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
- WubbaNub Brand- The Original Pacifier/Plush Animal combination
- Durable one piece construction is both functional and stylish. Patented design makes it easy for baby to grasp
- Distributed in hospitals, NICU and well-baby units nationwide
This WubbaNub is a medical grade latex-free baby pacifier like the ones they’re given in hospitals, so you can be sure it’s safe to use. What’s truly great about this pacifier is that it comes with a plush toy, making it easier for babies to grasp it. You also won’t have to worry about losing the pacifier since it’ll be so easy to spot.
Cleaning the WubbaNub infant pacifier is really easy. Simply wash it in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and leave to air dry. You can also sanitize it in a countertop sanitizer like the ones you’d use for sanitizing bottles and nipples.
- A fun alternative to dummies;
- Can be used as a toy;
- Made to last;
- A bit pricey;
- Some customers consider it to be too small.
|WHERE TO BUY|
Pacifying this Article 👼
Finding the best pacifier for breastfed babies can sometimes be a daunting task for a breastfeeding mom. If you can find just the right pacifier, you can help calm a fussy baby without odors and taste or having to worry about long-term orthodontic effects. We hope we’ve helped in this sense, so let us know what you think in the comments!
Editor's note: this post was first uploaded in July 2018 and has received multiple updates, including the most recent one in January 2019.