One of the best ways to stop your little angel from fussing is a pacifier! We gathered the best-rated odor-free and taste-free pacifiers that are also easy to sterilize and don’t cause nipple confusion.
Here are our reviews of the best pacifiers for breastfed babies, their materials, construction, nipple design, and overall durability and quality.
10. Nuby Soft Flex Pacifiers for Breastfed Babies
With a unique, orthodontic design, the Nuby Soft Flex Pacifiers allow for a baby’s natural flexing action to work as they suck and it imitates the motion of a nipple when it’s feeding time. It also features teething nubs that will stimulate and massage your baby’s gums to get rid of any pain or discomfort when they are teething making it one of the best pacifiers out there.
Perfect pacifier for babies that are in the newborn to the six-month range, it features a soft pacifier that has a special air system design reducing skin irritation when your baby sucks on it for long periods of time. It comes with a convenient clip and a carrying case.
- Has an orthodontic shape that your baby doesn’t spit out;
- Has a wide silicone part that covers the baby’s entire mouth area;
- The shape of the mouth shield fits the baby’s nose and cheek curve well.
- Can be too large for smaller babies.
Recommended read: Since you’re here, you’ve probably had or considered breast pumps. If so, we’ve also got a short overview of the best breast ones on the market this year!
9. The First Years GumDrop Newborn Pacifier
Designed for babies up to three months, the First Years GumDrop Newborn Pacifier is the third best pacifier for newborns on our list. This silicone pacifier is easy to sterilize which guarantees good hygiene and does not pose any choking hazards. It’s also comfortable, durable, and latex-free.
Another point of praise is that it’s easy to handle and the gumdrop design allows you to attach it to other pacifiers. Some parents have found that this pacifier to be just smidge smaller than its competitors but they enjoyed the cut out for their little one’s nose. It’s calming, it doesn’t cause nipple confusion, and it’s great for oral development.
- Similar to the pacifiers you are given at the hospital;
- Has a shape that curves to your baby’s face thus increasing the stability of the pacifier;
- Sucking motion from this pacifier helps little ones push down the reflux.
- They have a sticky quality and attract lint and hair.
8. Bonus Entry: The Gentleman Mustachifier Orthodontic Pacifier
This pacifier would be great as a legitimate entry on our list, were it not for the small parts that might be a choking hazard for infants. As such, it’s mostly recommended for toddlers as a fun present when your kid reaches 3 years of age.
If you’re looking for a cute and funny pacifier that will definitely get some chuckles, this is it. This baby pacifier is made of 100% BPA-free high-grade TPE (thermoplastic elastomer). It’s a very soft, yet long-lasting pacifier and teether. Lastly, this pacifier has a firm plastic shield with small vents that reduce the risk of irritation and sores.
- Great orthodontic nipple design that makes babies accept it immediately;
- Funny mouth guard design;
- Made of safe materials using a high-tech manufacturing process;
- In isolated cases, customers reported the nipple can come off.
7. Itzy Ritzy Sweetie Soother Pacifier
Itzy Ritzy’s shape and materials perfectly mimics a human nipple and are excellent props for training the baby into the deep-latch technique so that there is less pain for mom when breastfeeding.
They are 100% food-grade silicone and dish-washer safe which means they are easy to clean. The pacifier is also well designed so that babies can easily hold it by themselves, which makes it a great pacifier for babies that like to grab and hold onto things.
The only major downside is that is not suited for newborns’ mouths.
- Cute design and color scheme
- 2-in-1 teether and pacifier
- Washes off easily
- Excellent for breastfed babies aged 3 months and up
- Too large for newborns
- Hair and lint attractor
6. Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Glow-in-the-Dark Pacifier
From the company known for making bottles for breastfed babies, also comes a pacifier that can calm a breastfed baby and help her to adjust to bottle feeding when the time comes. The orthodontic nipple shape imitates the natural nipple and doesn’t use odors or taste making it great for combatting nipple confusion.
This is a dishwasher safe bottle that can be sterilized, plus it is BPA and silicone free. It features a shield with two open sides that provides better air circulation and keeps your baby’s cheeks dry and free of moisture. This is a larger nipple than many other orthodontic pacifiers that can be good for those babies that don’t have teeth yet.
- BPA free with an orthodontic shape;
- Pacifier most like a breast;
- Features a reversible pacifier nipple;
- The nipple is good for breastfed babies that supplement with bottles.
- Water can get trapped in the ring portion after washes;
- It may slip out of your baby’s mouth.
5. WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
This WubbaNub is a medical grade latex-free baby pacifier like the ones they’re given in hospitals, so you can be sure it’s safe to use. What’s truly great about this pacifier is that it comes with a plush toy, making it easier for babies to grasp it. You also won’t have to worry about losing the pacifier since it’ll be so easy to spot because of the stuffed animal.
Cleaning the WubbaNub infant pacifier is really easy. Simply wash it in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and leave to air dry. You can also sanitize it in a countertop sanitizer like the ones you’d use for sanitizing bottles and nipples.
- A fun alternative to dummies;
- Can be used as a toy;
- Made to last;
- A bit pricey;
- Some customers consider it to be too small.
Recommended reads: nursing moms have it hard as it is. Take a look at these guides we’ve put together to make your lives easier:
- Most moms prefer to go for nursing tanks while breastfeeding, we got those here.
- Nursing bras are a lot more comfortable and also help with breast marks! We selected the most practical nursing bras here.
- Keep that precious life-giving milk safe with breast milk storage bags. We looked at materials and practicality and put the top ones here.
4. Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier
Instagram moms are likely accustomed with the Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT pacifier and the designers’ mission. It looks great on their babies in both photos and the real world. For breastfed babies, though, get the flat variant as it Is designed to perfectly mimic a real nipple.
Most babies easily take to this pacifier because it is very soft (just like a nipple), lightweight and there are no plastic bits to rub against their delicate faces. What we love the most about this pacifier is that it provides much needed relief to teething babies whose mouths are not accustomed to teething rings.
|Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier Teether (Flat, Charcoal)
- Very cute color selection and design
- 100% medical grade silicone
- Very soft, lightweight, and dishwasher safe
- Excellent pacifier AND teether
- Needs to be cleaned frequently (hair, lint, and dust attractor)
- Not for babies with teeth (try the ‘Stage 2’ option instead)
3. Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier
The Soothie is one of the more popular best pacifiers for breastfed newborn babies. This revolutionary round shaped pacifier was created to fit a newborn’s mouth without hindering jaw and gum development. With hospital-grade BPA-free silicone, this pacifier is free of odors and flavors so a breastfeeding baby won’t reject it.
It’s also safe for both dishwashers and sterilizers and you don’t have to worry about bacteria or trapped moisture as it is one solid piece. The Philips Avent Soothie also adheres to the American Academy of Pediatrics Newborn guidelines and comes with a snap-on cap for hygienic storage.
The first pacifier most babies encounter is the Philips Avent Soothie, as it is the most common pacifier in hospitals all over the world. With its large shield and vibrant color choices, the pacifier is easy to see and find in the dark making it a favorite among both babies and moms. Parents have found this to be an easy to clean pacifier that doesn’t have parts that come off.
- This is an orthodontic pacifier;
- Is widely distributed in hospitals;
- One piece construction is more hygienic and can’t come apart;
- BPA free and Latex free, easy to sterilize.
- Doesn’t work with pacifier clips.
- Not recommended past 3 months
2. MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier for Breastfed Newborns
For babies that are over six months, the MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier is a larger version of orthodontic pacifiers for breastfed babies. Supporting gum development as well as the palate and teeth of your little one, the nipple has an ultra-soft silicon texture that is also anti-slip. The MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifier even has a shield that circulates air, thus reducing the risk of saliva rashes. Breastfeeding moms love the design and that it doesn’t hinder their newborn’s jaw development as they grow.
|MAM Original Start Newborn Baby Pacifier, Best Pacifier for Breastfed...
- Available in all age sizes up to 36 months
- Multiple small openings for air circulation against baby’s skin
- BPA free silicone with anti-slip texture
- Ultra soft MAM silicone that won’t slip
- Symmetrical with air circulation shield
- Silicone may tear if bitten
- The nipple might be too big for some babies
1. NUK Sensitive Orthodontic Pacifier (0-6 months)
The NUK Sensitive Orthodontic Pacifiers is likely the best pacifier for breastfed babies because it closely mimics the shape of the human nipple, is made of 100% food grade silicone, which means that it can be safely put in a dish washer, and it contains no hard plastic parts that might leave marks on the baby’s face.
The hard plastic has been a commonly reported issue with Nuk’s classic pacifier. What’s more, the brand’s revamped pacifier reviewed here comes with a heart-shaped shield which leaves the baby plenty of room to breathe freely. Also, because the pacifier fits snugly against their faces, newborns won’t be able to easily take it out.
No products found.
- Great for breastfed babies that don’t like pacifiers
- Orthodontic, BPA-free, and dishwasher safe
- No hard plastics rubbing against baby’s face
- Heart-shaped shield for extra breathability
- May gag babies accustomed to short nipples
Time to Get Some Peace 👼
So what pacifier is best for a breastfed baby? Hopefully, our picks might just give you an idea. Finding the best pacifier for breastfed babies can sometimes be a daunting task for a breastfeeding mom. If you can find just the right pacifier, you can help calm a fussy baby without odors and taste or having to worry about long-term orthodontic effects. We hope we’ve helped in this sense, so let us know what you think in the comments!
Editor's note: this post was first uploaded in July 2018
and has received multiple updates, including
the most recent one in December 2019.
The Mom Crib editorial team takes care that past articles are up to date in terms of the best baby products. We scour Amazon to find the products that are missing from our reviews and replace them. We also edit our blogger’s articles and make sure that everything is nice and neat, as their amazing posts deserve! Stay in touch with us by following our social media accounts.