As children grow, their sleeping habits will change, partly due to differences in brain activity, and partly because of the changes in their body’s energy levels.
While some children enjoy the pleasure of deep, uninterrupted sleep, others have to deal with little to no rest, restless movements, and even insomnia.
A myriad of factors can cause night movements, which is why it is so important to have the best toddler bed rails and bed bumpers. These will make up a barrier and protective edge for the bed and will prevent a fall that can lead to many other problems.
7. BuBumper Extra Long Bed Rail for Toddler
This XL foam bed rail is great for the transitioning from a convertible crib to a big boy or big girl bed. You can place this bed rail on one side of the bed or use it as side rails, but be wary that the box contains only one bed rail despite the product photo indicating otherwise.
This self inflatable bed bumper is a lot better than a fixed plastic or metal bed frame or swing down bed rails because it is soft, so your toddler can easily cuddle against, it has the perfect sizing (not too tall to make the bed feel like a crib and not too small to let the kid roll over), and it doesn’t ruin the aesthetic of the room.
It easily fits under a standard twin to queen size bedding, it comes with a no-slip flat bottom that keeps it in place and has a water-resistant quilted cover that easily washes off so you don’t have to worry about nighttime accidents.[amazon box=”B07QNZV8KW”]
- Great quality
- Water-resistant cover
- Really prevents kids from falling off
- Anti-slip flat bottom
- Toddlers will no longer be able to climb up on the side of the bed when this is in place
- Only one bumper included in the box
6. Regalo Swing Down Bedrail
A wonderful choice for best toddler rails for queen bed sizes, the Regalo Swing Down Bedrail features a metal design that uses a patented technology called Gap Guard.
The model follows the same pattern as its top competitors: think of a tennis mat surrounded by a metal frame that attaches itself to the edge of a bed. Also, measuring 43 inches long and 20 inches tall, this net won’t make your children feel like they are trapped in the bed.
The metal that frames the net will be mega sturdy as it is made of steel. No tools are needed for set up, and it is recommended mainly for queen and twin sized mattresses.
One of this product’s drawbacks is that you can’t use it with transition cribs, toddler beds, platform beds, or bunk beds.[amazon box=”B0070WGV9K”]
- Smooth, swing-down design
- Also works on beds without box springs, including bunk beds
- Much safer than foam rails, especially for active toddlers
- Can sometimes fold down by itself after twisting and turning
- Its pieces break down more easily than expected
Suggested Read: Your toddler is having trouble sleeping or is afraid of the dark? Then get him or her a cute nightlight, and make their sleep that much sweeter!
5. Munchkin Sleep Rails Toddler Bed Rail
This model is a 1-piece foam pillow that fits all beds and can be placed firmly on top of the mattress, under the fitted sheets. The bed rail has a soft edge finish that does not feel rough or foreign so your baby or toddler won’t get uncomfortable because of it.
Munchkin‘s product becomes a part of the bed, which feels more comfortable and secure than tall, imposing, wooden rails that feel cold and oppressive to the touch.
The product is 100% certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
This portable foam pad also serves as a non-slop toddler bed rail guard. As such, it is transferable, light, good for traveling, and safe.[amazon box=”B00XR1LSMI”]
- Comes with a 30 days 100% money-back guarantee
- Includes strong safety straps – no more gap between the bed rails and mattress
- Its push-button hinge can fold for ease of access
- Simple to assemble and clean
- It is hard to mount, according to several reviews
- The nylon cover is not machine washable
4. Bed Buddy Bed Rail Bumper Guard for Toddlers
The Bed Buddy system works as a bumper, more so than a barricade. It provides a strong, steady, yet understated wall at the edge of the bed that blends in with the rest of the structure.
When children wiggle during sleep, the soft, blended “bump” automatically redirects and makes them turn the other way, thus preventing a fall.
The bumper itself is only 4.5 inches in height and features a unique, steep peak silhouette that does not roll out of bed like most cylindrical bumper rails.
Placing the Bed Buddy on top of the mattress pad takes just a few seconds.[amazon box=”B01LRGWNCI”]
- Cozy and very unobtrusive – makes toddlers feel safe, not caged
- Lightweight, great for travel, and a universal fit
- Easy to set up and maintains its position thanks to the adherent materials
- Meant to be a passive safety reminder
- Several reviewers complained that it arrived used
3. Royexe Portable Bed Rail Bumper
Continuing with our list of the best toddler bed rails, we have this amazing option from Royexe. This discreet inflatable bed rail is safe and effective, and you can easily slip it under the sheets to prevent falls.
It measures 7”(W) X 48”(L) X 5”(H) when inflated and when deflated, it’s should be small enough to fit it in your pocket. This makes this bed rail perfect for traveling or sleepovers.
Plus, it’s water-resistant, so it can deal with any accidents or incidents that might occur during nighttime.[amazon box=”B079SKPKF3″]
- Inflates in seconds
- No moving metal parts
- Extremely compact and portable
- Universal secure fit
- Leak-proof, airtight construction
- Several reports of either one or both rails leaking air and deflating
Suggested Read: For a peaceful and comfortable sleep, your toddler also needs a good pillow. Here are a few options you can’t go wrong with!
2. ComfyBumpy Convertible Bed Rails
This ComfyBumpy model is basically like a tennis net framed by iron bars, and it was made for transition cribs. It is also the first product on this best toddler bed rails and bumpers list that works as an attached rail guard.
These bed rails are ideal for when you need stronger protection against falls but do not want to compromise by putting tall, heavy rails on the side of the bed.
Its added security comes, in part, from the fact that it has a triple way system of securing itself: with Velcro for springs and slats, with screws for wood-based beds, and with straps under the mattress when using a box spring.
Besides making it secure, this also means that you can use this system for any bed, no matter the size. It is also easy to install, as you just pull on the latch and then pull down the bed rail.[amazon box=”B01E8JP3TG”]
- The bars are made of industrial-quality iron
- High-quality, breathable mesh padding
- Triple-security systems
- Money-Back Guarantee
- Easy to install and remove thanks to its pull-down design
- Video instructions included
- Hard to follow written instructions
- Some reviews mention incomplete packages or product mistakes (receiving the adult instead of the toddler version)
1. hiccapop Foam Bed Bumpers Toddler Bed Rails
The hiccapop safety bed system is a 2-piece set of pillows that attach to the mattress and serve as a passive bumper, more so than a barricade that traps kids in their beds the way some of those tall, wooden rails do.
Created based on the principle of “passive-safety-protection”, these pillows also serve as bumps; so as the children sleep, they will come across the bumper which will make the roll away and automatically prevent a fall over the edge of the bed.
This product comes with the added benefit of being phthalates-free and BPA-free. It is also water resistant so it can withstand any little pesky night accidents and features a washable cover.[amazon box=”B01DTBFB5U”]
- Works great for most toddlers thanks to the psychological principle of subconscious passivity
- Includes a waterproof, machine-washable cover
- Features a non-skid bottom that firmly keeps it in its place
- Quick, intuitive installation process
- Comes with a 100%, Lifetime-Guarantee
- Several customers complain that these bed rails don’t stay in place
- Might arrive incomplete (one instead of two rails)
💤All Ready for a Safe Night’s Sleep Now🛌
There is no doubt that getting bed rails for kids that prevents your them falling from bed is an imperative need, especially if you have a tosser and turner. To prevent any possible dangers, you can either opt for a rail system or a bump system as prevention mechanisms.
As you can see, there is a multitude of products that fit the best toddler bed rails and bed bumpers categories, and which can help ensure they stay put and have a safe sleep.
Have you tried any of these products? Then don’t hesitate and let us know how they worked out for your kids.
Disclosure: Momcrib.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means that our posts may contain affiliate links and we my earn a small commission when accessing one such link at no added expense on our readers’ part. Being a participant in Amazon’s services llc associates program doesn’t mean that our opinions have been skewed towards certain products or brands or that we have been paid to promote a particular product or brand. The opinions expressed on our website are entirely ours.
Editor's note: this post was first uploaded in August 2017 and has received multiple updates, including the most recent one in December 2019.
The Mom Crib editorial team takes care that past articles are up to date in terms of the best baby products. We scour Amazon to find the products that are missing from our reviews and replace them. We also edit our blogger’s articles and make sure that everything is nice and neat, as their amazing posts deserve! Stay in touch with us by following our social media accounts.