As children grow, their sleeping habits will change, partly due to differences in brain activity, and partly due to changes in body energy levels, among many more transformations that come fast and without notice. While some children enjoy the pleasure of a deep, uninterrupted sleep, others endure little to no rest, restless movement, and even insomnia.
Night movement can be caused by a myriad of factors. This is why it is so important to have good barriers in all edges of the bed, to prevent a fall that could lead to tragedy. These are contenders for best toddler bed rails based on rating, price, protective quality and availability.
1. Bed Buddy Bed Rail Bumper Guard for Toddlers
This set is Amazon’s highest seller and one of the best toddler bed rails. At nearly 5 solid stars, and with dozens of reviews, this toddler bed bumper is not only effective, but also lower in price than its top competitors of the same category.
The Bed Buddy system works as a bumper, more so than a barricade. It provides a strong, steady, yet understated wall at the edge of the bed that blends in with the rest of the it. When children wiggle during sleep, the soft, blended “bump” automatically redirects them to turn the other way, thus preventing a fall. The bumper itself is only 4.5 inches in height, and features a unique, steep peak silhouette that does not roll out of bed like most cylindrical bumper guards. Just placing the Bed Buddy on top of the mattress pad takes seconds, and the price is worth the peace of mind it will bring you.
- Cozy and very unobtrusive – makes toddlers feel safe, but not caged.
- Very lightweight.
- Easy to set up and maintains its position thanks to adherent materials.
- More active toddlers can still go over them sometimes.
- Some customers complained it does not come with a cover.
- Others mentioned it can bunch up after repeated use.
|WHERE TO BUY|
2. hiccapop Foam Bed Bumpers Toddler Bed Rails
The hiccapop safety bed system is a 2-piece set of pillows that attach to the mattress and serve as a passive bumper, more so than a barricade that traps kids in their beds the way those tall, wooden rails do. It is the second highest seller for best toddler best rails on Amazon, at nearly 5 solid stars and hundreds of reviews, which makes them the second best toddler bed rails on this list.
Created by the hiccapop company and based on the principle of “passive-safety-protection”, these pillows also serve as bumps, more so than barricades. Toddlers will not feel trapped inside their own sleeping spaces. As they sleep, they will come across the edges of the bumper and will automatically prevent a fall over the edge of the bed. This product comes with the added benefit of zero phthalate, BPA, is water resistant for those pesky little night accidents, and features a washable cover.
The two pillows are made of sturdy, water resistant, BPA free polyurethane foam. Its most recent model has a non-skid bottom that firmly places the pads on the mattress and keeps them firmly set. Just place, set and relax.
- Works great for 99.9% of the toddlers thanks to the psychological principle of subconscious passivity.
- Comes with a waterproof machine-washable cover.
- The pack contains 2 bumpers instead of just one.
- Isn’t high enough for more active toddlers.
- Some customers report a strong chemical smell.
Buy Toddler Bed Rails on Amazon
3. Sleep Rails Toddler Bed Rail
This portable foam pad serves also as a non-slop sleep guard. As such, it is transferable, light, good for traveling, and safe. While it is one of the three most featured selections for best toddler best rails, it is not the sturdiest as your standard bed guard. Still, it comes in three awesome, cool colors; this rail is economical, well-made, and great for travel. The last thing you need is to worry about your baby or toddler falling from a hotel bed while you are traveling on holiday.
This model is a 1-piece foam pillow. It fits all beds, and it is to be placed resting firmly on top of the mattress, under the sheets. The bed rail features a soft edge finish that does not feel rough or foreign if your baby or toddler gets too close to it. It becomes a part of the bed, which feels more comfortable and secure than tall, imposing, wooden rails that feel cold and oppressive to the touch. The product is 100% certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Comes with a 30 days 100% money back guarantee.
- Well-packaged, always arrives in perfect condition.
- The company has great customer service.
- The memory foam takes about 24 hours to completely expand.
- The nylon cover is not machine washable.
|WHERE TO BUY|
Note: Sleep Rails’ Toddler Bed Rail is currently unavailable. Until it gets back in stock, we suggest this quality safety guard by Cutie Kids instead.
4. Comfy Bumpy Convertible Bedrails
Made for transition cribs, this model is the first among the best toddler bed rails in the category of an attached rail guards. This model is basically like a tennis net framed by iron bars. It is ideal for when you need stronger protection from falls, but do not want to compromise putting tall, heavy rails on the side of the bed, or transition bed. It has a triple way system of securing itself: with Velcro for springs and slats, with screws for wood-based beds, and with straps under the mattress when using a boxspring. This means that the system goes with any potential bed, no matter what size. It is also easy to install, by pulling on the latch and pulling down the bed rail.
The only drawback, despite of a near 5-star rating on Amazon.com, is that it is definitely a more expensive option. This protection system comes in white, blue and pink. The reason for this price, however, is that its bars are made with iron, which is safe and of industrial-quality. It also protects the bed better, especially when you have specific room spaces that require that you secure the area better than with just a bed bump.
- Much safer for very active toddlers than previously mentioned rails.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee.
- Easy to install and remove and has a pull-down design.
- Can make toddlers feel caged and cause distress.
- Makes a loud locking sound when pulled up, which can wake up the child.
- Directions are unclear and confusing.
|WHERE TO BUY|
5. Regalo Swing Down Bedrail
A wonderful choice for best toddler bed rails, the Regalo Swing Down Bedrail is not only good, but also the most economical option. It has a metal design that features a patented technology called Gap Guard. The model follows the same pattern as its top competitors: think of a tennis mat surrounded by a metal frame that attaches itself to the edge of a bed.
This model measures 43 inches long and 20 inches tall. It is not imposing, that is, the net does not make it feel like the child is trapped in his or her own bed. The metal that frames the net is steel, so you know it will be mega sturdy. No tools are needed for set up, and it is recommended mainly for queen and twin sized mattresses. This is the only drawback of the product: it is not to be used in transition cribs, toddler beds, platform beds, or bunk best. The brand helps you keep it simple and comes with the necessary tools to keep your toddler safe during a wiggly night.
- Smooth swing-down design.
- Also works on beds without box springs, including bunk beds.
- Much safer than foam rails for active toddlers.
- Can cause distress in some toddlers because of its shape.
- Can sometimes fold down by itself after twisting and turning.
- Some customers experienced issues with delivery – incomplete packages or dirty pieces.
|WHERE TO BUY|
6. Royexe Portable Bed Rail Bumper
Continuing with our list of the best toddler bed rails, we have this amazing option from Royexe. This discreet inflatable bed rail is safe and effective, and you can slip it under the sheets easily to prevent falls. It measures 7”(W) X 48”(L) X 5””(H) when inflated and when deflated, it’s so small that you can fit it in your pocket. This makes this bed rail perfect for travels or sleepovers. Plus, it’s water-resistant, so it can deal with any ‘’accidents’’ that may occur during nighttime.
- Inflates in seconds.
- No moving metal parts.
- Extremely compact when deflated.
- May slip off the bed.
- Not fit for a queen sized bed.
- May have a plastic smell to it.
For a peaceful and comfortable sleep, your toddler also needs a good pillow. Here are a few options you can’t go wrong with!
7. WYNMARTS Foam Bed Rail Bumper for Toddlers
WYNMARTS’ foam bumper is also one of the best toddler bed rails you can find on the market today. Measuring 56 inches in length and 9 inches in width, it’s adjustable to almost any bed; you can even use a scissor to cut it to the desired length. Made of soft non-toxic foam, this bed rail will keep your kids in their beds throughout the night, preventing falls.
- Stays in place under the sheets.
- Perfect height.
- May have an unpleasant smell.
Which option makes the cut for best toddler bed rails? There is no doubt that purchasing a product that prevents a fall from bed is an imperative need. Children toss and turn when they sleep and sometimes find it difficult to go to bed at prescribed times. When they do get to sleep, their rest may be restless, jumpy, and starts to get dangerous. For this reason, you can either opt for a rail system or a bump system as prevention mechanisms.
As you can see, the prices are competitive, the products are widely-available, and they are actually inexpensive for what they offer.Have you tried any of these yourself? Be sure to let us know and sound off how you feel about these great products!