I recently travelled to Las Vegas with my two kids: my 5-year-old son and almost 2-year-old daughter. Having been to Vegas before I knew we would have to do a lot of walking.
My 5-year-old is pretty good for most long walks as he walks a fair distance to school and back every day. That said, he’s not great at keeping pace when he’s tired… or hungry... or excited… okay maybe he’s not that great at enjoying long walks. I mean, he’s 5!
So what to do?
I had to think of what stroller would work best for us since it was a given that we had to bring something for my toddler daughter.
As a 5-year-old Kindergartener who weighs in at 45 pounds, Charlie is not game for seated stroller rides anymore.
We tried a roller board on our single stroller for a while but it was super loud and clunky so that really annoyed me and besides that, he wanted to keep on it very briefly.
I wanted to find something he could be more comfortable with so that we could walk for as long as we had to.
Was it finally time for the dreaded large-and-in-charge “sit and stand” stroller?
I love to do diligent research on baby/kids items so I began to look into every different type of sit and stand stroller on the market.
If you are unfamiliar with what these are, they are basically a toddler/older infant stroller with a back seat for an older child which has a footrest that the older child can also stand on.
The Sit N’ Stand brand was the cheapest on Amazon. I have seen a few of these around my neighbourhood and they are so clunky that they can barely get up the curb from the crosswalk. It looks like they are so big that it would be akin to captaining a cruise ship to push around.
I knew that Vegas streets would be crowded and that we’d have to do a lot of elevators so I wanted something as maneuverable and small as I could possibly get.
[amazon box=”B01N4S1U2I” template=”table”]
The next cheapest option for this type of stroller was the Joovy Caboose. It definitely had smaller dimensions than the Sit N’ Stand and a more sleek look but I was skeptical about how easy to push it would be, just based on what the handle looked like. Nevertheless, it seemed like my best option.
The Result – Joovy Caboose Review
When I received the package I was pleasantly surprised how light the box was and how easy to assemble the stroller was.
Once I set it up I found it was also easy to maneuver. In fact, I was incredibly happy to find that this stroller suited my needs for this trip perfectly.
Here is what I loved about travelling with the stroller:
- The toddler seat has a snack tray attached and a perfect incline to dine at said snack tray. This saved me so many times when my girl got fussy in line ups. A few goldfish or fruit snacks on that thing went a long way. The tray even has two cup holders (for both kids) and is easy to remove and dishwash.
- The sun/rain canopy is big enough to shield both kids if the older child is sitting and easy to move around.
- You can virtually fold the stroller down and bring it back up with one move. I could fold it down while holding my squirming daughter at the gate check to the plane which was a lifesaver as I was travelling alone.
- It is very easy to push with one hand and easy to maneuver even with both kids in it.
- The foot brake is easy to push down even with flip flops.
Here is what I would add in a perfect world:
- A drink holder for the parent.
- The ability to recline the toddler seat while the older child comfortably sits on the stroller. The way it worked for us is if my daughter was sleeping reclined, my son had to stand because it became too narrow for him to sit.
Strolling Away with Ease
All in all, I am so happy with this purchase. It really helped make our trip a success and we will bring it on all future trips until my son outgrows it.
Additionally, it’s going to be a great way that I can walk both kids to the beach this summer. We’ve been walking out to a climbing wall on the weekends quite a few blocks away from us with great success. It’s helped to open our neighbourhood and city back up to us in that way.
In my 5 years of having kids, I’ve gone through many strollers for different seasons. I’m always so happy when I find one that suits my needs for a time period really well and this one is no exception.
I’m Laura and I am a former lawyer, current Canadian stay-at-home mom of 2 lovely kids (a boy and a girl) and married to her high school sweetheart and best friend. I’m also a motherhood & lifestyle YouTuber who loves to share both the high and lows about her life.