We love the best play kitchens. Many of us have happy memories of opening and shutting “fridge” doors and cooking “food” for stuffed animals and friends. Play kitchens are fun for both genders. They help kids learn healthy food habits and feel comfortable in kitchens. They might even get inspired to help Mom or Dad with the cooking!
In this article, we’ll focus on the best play kitchens you can get now. Two of the most important features of a play kitchen are how realistic it is and how durable it is. You can anticipate your little chef doing a lot of cooking!
We’ve selected the kitchens on this list for their durability, realistic qualities, and functionality. Some play kitchens have pretend microwaves that beep and ovens that chime. Some mommies might feel like price is a barrier to selecting a play kitchen. That’s why we’ve included the best play kitchens for every budget.
7. Step2 Fun with Friends Kitchen
The Step2 Fun With Friends Kitchen is a spacious play kitchen with a 45-piece accessory set. It has a play oven, microwave, and refrigerator. Kids can take “orders” for food over the play phone.
One cool feature of the kitchen is the included play coffee pods: kids can “make coffee” in the included coffee maker.
We included it as one of the best play kitchens because it is affordable but includes all the bells and whistles you’d see on a more expensive model.
- Realistic open-and-close refrigerator, microwave, and oven
- Lots of storage space for play food and kitchen accessories
- Electronic stove top makes cooking sounds when you place the included pot or pan on it: hear your food “bubble” and “sizzle” as the stove lights up
- Fun for kids ages one to seven
- Some users commented that the fridge, microwave, and oven are on the small side
- The kitchen takes some to assemble if you don’t use a drill
6. KidKraft Vintage Kitchen
The Vintage Kitchen by KidKraft has a classic design. The doors open and close and the oven knobs click and turn. This kitchen has a fridge, freezer, microwave, and oven. It is available in several different colors.
- Sweet, simple, and sized just right for toddlers
- The turntable in the microwave really rotates
- Fridge has a pretend ice machine
- The plastic stove is removable for easy cleanup
- Does not include play food or dishes
- Several users commented that this play kitchen is extremely time-consuming and confusing to assemble
5. Little Tikes Bake ‘N Grow Kitchen
|Little Tikes Bake ‘N Grow Kitchen – (Amazon Exclusive)
Little Tikes Bake ‘N Grow Kitchen is is sized specifically for preschoolers. It is lower to the ground and more compact than other play kitchens. We ranked this as one of the best play kitchens because it is expandable.
You have two options: you can move the sink and stovetop on top of the fridge and oven and latch the two sides together. Or, you can place the sink and stovetop section in between the fridge and oven.
- Comes with a cute baking set: "cupcakes," a baking sheet, rolling pin, and plates and silverware
- Easy to assemble
- The expandable feature lets the kitchen grow with your child
- The small size means that there is limited storage space for play kitchen accessories
- Compact enough that some curious toddlers might try to climb on it
4. Teamson Kids - Little Chef Florence Classic Kids Play Kitchen
The Teamson Kids Classic Kids Play Kitchen is a simple, no-frills kitchen for any child. We ranked this at #4 on our list of the best play kitchens because it is made of safe, sturdy wood. It is a compact unit that will fit in any playroom. There's a microwave, stovetop, sink, oven, and fridge.
- Accessories include a play phone, spatula, and three plastic spice shakers
- Sink easily pops in and out for cleaning
- Easy-grip knobs make kitchen sound effects when you turn them
- Some users comment that the oven door doesn’t close properly after assembly
- Easily tipped over unless it’s secured to a wall
3. Costzon Play Kitchen Set
|Costzon Kids Kitchen Playset, Wooden Pink Pretend Cooking Play Toy Set...
This is a sweet little kitchen targeted at little girls. It's pink and has a heart-shaped window to peek into the oven. The kitchen has a fridge, microwave, oven, sink, and mini stovetop. It has plenty of space to store the included kitchen accessories and more.
- It’s ridiculously cute
- Designed for ages three and up
- Oven dials turn
- Sink can be lifted out for cleaning
- Lots of screws required for assembly
- Does not make kitchen noises when you turn the dials or open the doors
2. Little Tikes Super Chef Kitchen
The Little Tikes Super Chef Kitchen is indeed super. Don't be fooled by its compact size; there are plenty of interactive elements. The burner makes electronic cooking sounds and there is a clicking knob above the oven door.
- Chrome-look towel rack
- Includes a coffee pot, plates and silverware
- Gender-neutral colors
- A design flaw means the kitchen’s “feet” don’t screw in properly
- Users felt that at this price point it should also include play food
1. Melissa & Doug Wooden Chef’s Pretend Play Toy Kitchen
We ranked this kitchen #1 on our list because of its quality and craftsmanship. The large microwave, oven, and fridge/freezer combo have plenty of storage space. The realistic-looking sink, stovetop, and backsplash make this a quality play kitchen for any playroom.
- The "ice" cube dispenser dispenses two included "ice cubes"
- Rotating turntable inside the microwave
- Instructions are clear and easy to follow
- Very heavy pieces to lift and assemble
- Larger than some homes might have space for
We've looked at the best play kitchens for kids. Some kitchens are bigger and have more interactive features than others. Is there a play kitchen we've forgotten to mention? Give us your thoughts and suggestions.
The Mom Crib editorial team takes care that past articles are up to date in terms of the best baby products. We scour Amazon to find the products that are missing from our reviews and replace them. We also edit our blogger’s articles and make sure that everything is nice and neat, as their amazing posts deserve! Stay in touch with us by following our social media accounts.