Brightly colored toys stimulate a baby’s vision, and tactile games allow infants to exercise their motor skills and hand-eye coordination, not to mention object permanence, their sense of cause and effect, and other basic concepts.
This article has the best infant toys sorted by their popularity among children, according to their parents. We also reviewed their composition to make sure they are safe.
1. Little bamBAM Giraffe Teether Toy by Bambeado[amazon box=”B01I7PFAKE”]
Common remedies for a teething infant include giving him or her hard foods or letting the baby chew on a chilled washcloth. However, you can soothe your baby’s sore gums while giving the baby a stimulating and fun toy.
Appropriate for babies aged at least 3 months, this teething toy from Bambeado is made of BPA-free silicone that acts as a soothing object for teething babies to bite. The manufacturer says that this toy is in the “Goldilocks zone” of not too hard and not too soft, making it one of the best infant toys for chewing.
This cute toy is available in a variety of bright, solid colors to stimulate a baby’s vision and help with color recognition. The shape of the giraffe provides a sensory experience when babies practice holding and playing with the toy.
The manufacturer also points out that there are no cracks in the toy to allow bacteria to accumulate, so you can trust that it will be safe for your baby.
- The giraffe can be frozen to provide a chilled, soothing surface, making it one of the best toys for infants who are teething.
- It’s just the right size to fit in an infant’s mouth.
- The toy may be too heavy for younger babies to hold on their own.
- The flat texture of the toy might not be interesting enough for some babies who prefer round objects.
2. Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack[amazon box=”B01LYNRB3Y”]
Fisher Price baby toys are known for their bright colors and lightweight plastic. The Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack is one of the best learning toys for infants who are developing their motor skills.
With differently colored and sized rings, babies will have a stimulating and sensory time playing. As a baby’s brain develops, he or she can learn the differences between the sizes and exercise motor skills by practicing stacking the rings over the central pole.
The very top ring is shiny with rattling beads inside to provide an extra element of sensory play. The base is built on a piece of curved plastic, so it will rock back and forth when touched.
This classic toy has been one of the best infant toys for generations due to the bright colors and ability to develop hand-eye coordination through the stacking. The plastic is safe, soft and easily washable, so babies can put it in their mouths to taste and explore.
- The toys will float in the bathtub or pool for extra fun, making it one of the best infant toys for indoor or outdoor play.
- The lightweight rings are easy for infants to hold.
- There are many ways to play depending on a baby’s stage of development, so it will stay fun and interesting for a long time.
- The toy is not made from BPA-free plastic.
- Some parents have experienced issues with dye from the blue ring getting on other household objects.
3. Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
[amazon box=”B004AHMCMI” template=”table”]
From the time a baby is born, sounds, sights, and textures help his or her brain develop. This soft toy is designed with a baby’s growing brain in mind.
The bright, high-contrast colors stimulate a baby’s vision, and gentle rattle sounds help infants make connections in the brain.
This is one of the best infant toys for very young babies under 6 months of age because of its soft fabric and shape. The bumps on the toy in various colors and textures of fabric will be stimulating to the senses and help infants learn to reach and grasp.
- Babies can grab, hold, throw and catch this toy for a variety of ways to play.
- The weight of the toy is lightweight, ideal for infants.
- Parents love that it is a quiet toy for car trips.
- Some parents regret the lack of a crinkling texture on the ball.
- Some parents have reported that the ball ripped easily, exposing their baby to stuffing that may be unsafe if ingested.
4. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy[amazon box=”B000YDDF6O”]
Baby Einstein produces some of the best toys for infants, and this musical toy is designed to promote auditory development in babies. The toy features seven classic melodies with volume control so that parents can adjust the level of sound.
When your baby presses the button on top of the toy, colors, and lights will move across the screen as the music plays, promoting many different kinds of sensory development.
The toy is easy to hold with a friendly caterpillar design on the handle. The caterpillar features colorful beads that can be swiveled and moved up and down by curious babies. The plastic construction and small size are convenient to bring on the go.
- Parents recommend the toy ideal for babies from 6 months to 2 years old.
- Parents love exposing their child to classical music that is also pleasant for adults to listen to.
- The bright lights and sound make this one of the best infant toys for distracting a baby during vaccinations or other unpleasant experiences.
- The four-color wheel on the toy may confuse babies because it’s separate from the music button and doesn’t do anything.
- The side speaker is on the bottom of the device and may be muffled if the baby sets it down.
5. VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker[amazon box=”B0053X62GK”]
This larger infant toy may not be as portable as others on this list, but that doesn’t mean it won’t get around.
As your baby grows and attempts to stand and walk, the VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker provides support in the form of a sturdy handle, and the plastic wheels provide traction across a number of surfaces.
When an infant is not walking, the colorful toys on the front of the walker provide plenty of options for engaging play.
Your baby will be captivated by light-up buttons, textured spinners, musical keys and shape sorters, all of which encourage infants to think cognitively and explore cause and effect relationships.
- The activity panel can be removed from the walker to enjoy activities sitting down.
- This toy helps teach animals, colors, shapes, and numbers all in one.
- The walker tension is adjustable for different floorings such as carpet or hardwood.
- Some parents have seen their children slip and fall when using the toy due to not enough grip in the wheels.
- The phone on the activity panel detaches and can easily become lost.
Far more than just fun ways to pass the time, toys are essential to a baby’s brain development. The best toys for infants stimulate the visual and auditory parts of their brain with a variety of colors, shapes, and sounds.
Great toys will also help a baby refine his or her motor skills by pressing buttons, grasping items, or involving in other physical activities.
When a toy combines many of these developmental skills, it’s more likely that a baby will be entertained through multiple phases of growth.
Parents, grandparents, and older siblings, what are your recommendations for the best educational infant toys?
Editor’s note: this post was first uploaded in June 2017 and has received multiple updates, including the most recent one in April 2019.
The Mom Crib editorial team takes care that past articles are up to date in terms of the best baby products. We scour Amazon to find the products that are missing from our reviews and replace them. We also edit our blogger’s articles and make sure that everything is nice and neat, as their amazing posts deserve! Stay in touch with us by following our social media accounts.