While the exact causes of colic are generally unknown, two of the things that surely trigger it is gastroesophageal reflux or swallowing too much air in babies’ tummies during bottle feeding.
To try and prevent this, many of today’s top brands have started making baby bottles specially designed to reduce the amount of air bubbles inhaled as babies eat.
The key to finding the best baby bottles for colic and gas is to look for products with anti-colic valves, soft nipples, and a simple, natural latch design. Below, we’ve done just that.
So let’s take a look at some great options that will hopefully help reduce your baby’s crying and discomfort and eliminate needless stress in both you and your little angel. Here’s our top picks.
10. Dr Brown’s Options+ Anti Colic Bottles
This revamped Dr. Brown’s anti colic baby bottle, dubbed ‘Options+’, comes with a patented and clinically tested anti-colic vent system that helps reduce gas intake to keep both babies and moms happy.
The great part about these baby bottles for colic, gas, and reflux is that they come with a low and steady flow which is a invaluable feature for breastfed babies and babies who have difficulty swallowing. Plus, you won’t have to worry about fluid buildup in baby’s ear and other issues tied to fast nipple flows.
The bottle nipple is soft, BPA-free, and most babies easily latch to it. The bottle fits most breast pumps and the internal air vent system can be removed so you don’t have to invest in more bottles as the baby outgrows it.
The only real downside is that this Dr Brown’s bottle may leak, according to reports from dozens of unhappy parents. But the issue can be easily prevented if you don’t fill the bottle past that “do not fill above this line” marking on it and if you feed your baby at the exact angle the manufacturer recommends. And you can always revert to Dr. Brown’s original anti-colic baby bottle (You can check it out here.)
- Excellent nipple flow
- Helps with reflux and gas
- Removable anti-colic vent system
- Picky babies love it
- Hard to clean (too many removable parts)
- Leaky (needs to be kept upright in diaper bag)
- It comes with just a level 1 nipple (next stage nipples sold separately, check prices here)
9. Perry Mackin Anti-Colic Silicone Baby Bottle
This may be the best silicone baby bottle for colic and gas on our list. It is smooth and soft to the touch, it stands upright unlike other silicone bottles, and has a design that makes it very easy to clean. The Perry Mackin baby bottles are also microwave and dishwasher safe (on the top rack).
The curved shape and no-slip materials enable babies to hold the bottle themselves. The bottle can be converted into a sippy cup, but you’ll need to purchase a straw and a few additional rings for that.
The 6 oz bottle comes with a slow flow nipple design (one hole) which makes it great for babies aged up to 3 months, while the 9 oz one comes with a medium flow teat (and 2 holes) which makes it ideal for babies aged 3 to 6 months.
Silicone bottle and nipples are microwave, sterilizer, dishwasher, and freezer safe (other, plastic parts are not safe in the microwave or sterilizer). The bottle has very few parts which makes it very easy to clean.
- Soft, medical-grade silicone (BPA-, BPS-, phthalate-, lead-free)
- Bottle can stand upright
- Very easy to clean
- Slow nipple flow
- Too bulky
8. Hegen Anti Colic Baby Bottles with Wide Neck
Everything about Hegen has a high-end feel to it, from the sleek shape of the bottle and patent pending ‘press to close, twist to open’ closure to the bottle’s nice amber color and revolutionary off-center teat that enables babies to empty the milk like very few other bottles do.
One big plus about this baby bottle for colicky babies is that is truly leak-free. If you do notice leaks around the seams, it means that the liquid in the bottle is too hot and the added air pressure is just pushing everything out. This is a great warning system when milk is too hot for the baby.
The in-built anti-colic air venting system works smoothly and the unique square-shaped design of the bottle allows for an easy grip and seamless storage. What’s more, the entire bottle is made of just 4 parts, which makes it very easy to clean.
The Hegen baby bottle is perfect for babies that need to be fed upright to prevent acid reflux from kicking in. The elliptical and off-center teat has been especially designed for it.
- Slow flow nipple
- Off-center bottle nipple great for babies prone to reflux
- Hot liquid warning system
- Soft square shaped bottle for easy handling and storage
- Air intake visibly reduced
- Teat needs a certain angle to work when feeding baby
- Very pricey
Mandatory Read: How Many Baby Bottles Do I Need and How To Buy?
7. Tommee Tippee Advanced Anti-Colic Baby Bottle
These baby bottles for gas and colic by Tommee Tippee feature a revolutionary anti-colic straw that eliminates air bubbles from the milk as it passes through, thus reducing gas, spit-ups, and discomfort during and after bottle feeding.
Additionally, the star-shaped valve ensures the bottle won’t leak no matter the positions it’s held in. The bottle also features an award-winning nipple that any baby should accent thanks to its natural shape.
What customers love most about this anti-colic baby bottle set, apart from its effectiveness in reducing gas and colic, is the heat-sensing straw that turns pink when the milk is too hot.
- Many parents claim it’s the only bottle their babies accept due to the great nipple design
- The design of the bottle and valve is indeed leak-proof
- The heat-sensing material of the straw makes it easy to regulate the temperature of its content
- Some parents claim the liquid flows a little too fast out of this bottle
6. Joovy Boob PPSU Bottle
The Joovy Boob bottles come in two options: high-quality PP and ultra-premium PPSU. The PPSU is clearly the superior material because it does not absorb odors or colors, and it’s made to last.
You can safely sterilize the bottle repeatedly at high temperatures without having to worry about damaging it. The Joovy bottle comes with one of the most advanced bottle venting technologies on the market today, namely, the CleanFlow Vent.
This helps prevent nipple collapse and colic symptoms, which makes this product one of the best baby bottles for colic. Furthermore, this system is one of the easiest to clean and reassemble.
- The shape of the bottle ensures a good grasp
- A great product for breastfed babies, too
- Moms can pair them with pump adapters and pump directly into the bottle
- Some parents claim the nipple is too long and there’s a risk of gagging
- The bottle may sometimes leak
5. Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle
The 8 ounces Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle is designed to create an easy transition between nursing and bottle feeding. It features an anti-colic valve to eliminate the air bubbles that cause discomfort, and the accordion nipple moves with the baby to reduce the symptoms of colic.
The nipple also releases the milk as the baby feeds to create a similar experience to breastfeeding. It is easy to clean the bottle with the wide neck design, and it can be placed on the top rack of the dishwasher. The bottle is made of BPA-free polypropylene to keep babies safe and healthy as they feed.
|Munchkin Latch Anti-Colic Baby Bottle with Ultra Flexible Breast-like...||Check Price|
- The anti-colic valve prevents air bubbles that may lead to colic and discomfort
- The accordion nipple and latch design mimic natural breastfeeding, making it easy for babies to switch between bottle feeding and nursing
- There have been reports of the nipple collapsing during feedings
4. MAM Anti-Colic Bottle – Best Baby Bottles for Gas
The 5-ounce MAM Anti-Colic Bottle is made of BPS- and BPA-free plastic and silicone and is one of the best baby bottles for gas. It features a vented base that regulates pressure to prevent air from flowing into the baby’s tummy during feeding.
Babies can easily switch between nursing and bottle feeding with the SkinSoft texture and flat shape of the nipple. With its wide openings and five-piece design, the bottle is easy to clean and assemble.
It can also be self-sterilized in the microwave in just three minutes. Parents looking for an anti-colic baby bottle that works are sure to fall in love with this bottle’s useful features and adorable graphics.
|MAM Easy Start Anti Colic Baby Bottle, Easy Switch Between Breast and...||Check Price|
- The soft texture and flat shape of the nipples allow babies to latch on when feeding
- Its wide opening makes it easy to clean
- The vented base regulates pressure and aids babies who are prone to colic, gas, and acid reflux
- There have been reports of the bottle leaking if the lid and bottom are not screwed on tight enough
Recommended read: Since you’re here, you might also be interested in finding a great sterilizer so you can keep these bottles squeaky clean for your little ones!
3. Philips Avent Anti Colic Baby Bottle with AirFree Vent
This Philip Avent Anti Colic Baby Bottle Starter Set contains some of the best anti-colic accessories as it includes:
- 2 x 4 ounce and 2 x 9 ounce natural bottles made of BPA-free polypropylene
- 4 x AirFree vents
- 1 x pacifier
- 1 x formula dispenser
- 1 x bottle brush
- 1 x My First Transition cup
- 1 x soft spout
The soft, wide-shape AirFree vent nipples encourage babies to switch between nursing and bottle feeding while accessories like the My First transition cup makes things even smoother. Plus the AirVent venting system ensures that the bottle nipples stay full of milk, not air.
So, colic is no longer a problem with the anti-colic AirVent design, which vents the air into the bottle instead of their little tummies. You can also easily clean the bottles with the provided bottle brush, placing them in the dishwasher or boiling them for five minutes.
- The flow and seal of the bottles do not cause babies to spit up or feel gassy, which is helpful in preventing or reducing colic
- As they come in multiple sizes, you can continue using these bottles as the baby grows
- The manufacturer uses only safe materials for this product
- There have been reports of the milk coming out too fast, which can cause leaks and discomfort during feeding
2. Playtex Baby Ventaire Anti-Colic Baby Bottle
This Playtex baby bottle features an ergonomic, angled design that helps prevent reflux and even helps stave off ear infections. This technology channels the air into the back of the bottle to prevent it from going through the milk. Plus, these bottles are BPA-, PVC-, and Phthalate-free.
The flow is a bit fast for some babies, but you can pair these baby bottles with a pair of slow flow nipples (they are sold separately on Amazon, check price here) and see what suits your baby best. All in all this is maybe the best design when it comes to baby bottles for colic, gas, and reflux.
|Playtex 05226 Baby Ventaire Anti Colic Baby Bottle, BPA Free, 9 Ounce...||Check Price|
- Highly recommended for babies with severe GERD
- Reduce gas better than standard bottles
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a break-proof and leak-proof guarantee
- May leak occasionally
- clear silicone pieces easy to lose
Suggested: Before you leave, you may also want to read about some great organic baby formulas.
1. Comotomo Baby Bottle
The 8-ounce Comotomo Baby Bottle is designed for babies who are transitioning from nursing to bottle feeding. It is made of hygienic silicone nipples with a soft body to make bottle feeding more appealing to babies.
Air bubbles are prevented by the bottle’s dual anti-colic vents, while its wide-neck design makes cleaning a breeze. It can also be placed in the dishwasher or in boiling water for cleaning.
- The wide openings make these bottles easy to clean
- Comes with anti-colic vents that help reduce crying and spitting during feedings
- The design of the nipple smoothes babies’ transition from breastfeeding to bottle feeding
- Very natural feel
- Great value for the money
- Some parents have had difficulty in screwing the lid shut, and this caused the milk leaks from the side of the bottle
- Silicone a bit too soft
Safe Feeding Time 🍼
All the products on our list of the best baby bottles for colic and gas have received stellar customer ratings and are well above average at preventing colic caused by bottle feeding. However, picking the best colic bottle for your baby is more particular to your situation than you may think,since the baby is the ultimate judge to the type of bottle it prefers.
Feel free to share your questions, thoughts, and experience with anti-colic baby bottles in the comments below.
🍼 You Might Also Be Interested In: It’s Colic and Baby Has Got It Bad: A Complete Parent’s GuideEditor's note: This post was first uploaded in August 2018 and has received multiple updates, including the most recent one in December 2019.
The Mom Crib editorial team takes care that past articles are up to date in terms of the best baby products. We scour Amazon to find the products that are missing from our reviews and replace them. We also edit our blogger’s articles and make sure that everything is nice and neat, as their amazing posts deserve! Stay in touch with us by following our social media accounts.